For those who have not heard about MMORPG games before, here’s a little explanation:
MMORPG means massively multiplayer online role-playing games, and it’s a type of video game that combines elements of role-playing games (RPGs) with the gameplay of multiplayer online gaming worlds. (Source: masterclass.com)
Massively multiplayer online role-playing games connect players across continents, offer rich, evolving worlds, and challenge them like no other.
A major characteristic of MMORPGs is their social and role-playing elements, specifically character creation and progression as players.
As opposed to traditional console-based role-playing games, MMORPGs are centred on player interactivity and emergent game play. Although MMORPGs still offer progressively harder tasks and battles, the primary purpose is to help gamers build up their characters in terms of skills and abilities.
MMORPG’s ensure a reliable and exciting gaming experience, MMORPGs bring players together, allow them to form alliances, interact within the game, customize their avatars, and even create some of the game's content. Those who do not wish to enter dungeons and battle to build up their characters can still contribute to the authenticity of the world of the game by setting up shops in villages and cities. It's also possible to buy items in MMORPGs with the virtual currency you earn in battles. In some areas, this virtual economy has crossed over into the real world. For example, There have been transactions in which real currency has been exchanged for items and virtual currency in MMORPGs. Many players who desire to increase their character levels more quickly hire farmers - gamers who play as another person's character - who earn experience points for their employers.
Five Characters of MMORPG Games
Although there are many types of massive multiplayer online role-playing games, most share similar characteristics:
1. Multiplayer gameplay: Unlike single-player games, most MMORPGs require you to team up with other players to accomplish quests or overcome bosses.
2. Free-to-play or monthly subscription: Players of some MMORPGs must subscribe monthly, but those of others can play free of charge. Microtransactions often enable you to upgrade your character or purchase cosmetic items.
3. Character creation: A character can almost always be created and customized. By customizing characters, gamers can have a richer understanding of the type of character they would like to embody in the fantasy world, such as a thief or warrior.
4. Character progression: The gameplay usually consists of advancing your character's level to improve strength, skill, and other attributes. Levelling up can be obtained by completing quests or killing creatures. Since most MMORPGs don't have an endgame, players can progress for as long as they like.
5. Open-world exploration: There is typically a sandbox-style game world in which players can search, meet characters, and complete quests in order to discover items. A new player will be able to explore the same game world as other players.
The Top Ten MMORP Games 2022:
World of Warcraft
Final Fantasy 14
Old School Run Escape
Guild Wars 2
The Elder Scrolls Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Swords of Legends Online